Tsinghua University

Address: Haidian Dis. Beijing
Tel: +86-10-62785001
Website: http://www.tsinghua.edu.cn
/qhdwzy/index.jsp
Entrance Fee: 0Want a private car service? Here for more
Need guide service? Here for details
tsinghua-university0

Introduction

Tsinghua University incorporates Science, Engineering, Liberal Arts and Management departments, with special stress on engineering. Founded in 1911 as a school, the university is situated around the grounds of a Qing Dynasty-era villa known for its pools and trees, from which the work “Tsinghua” originates. It is today considered one of the finest universities in China in both national and international rankings.

In its early days as Tsinghua School, the university was part of a scholarship programme set up to send Chinese students to the USA for further study. In addition, students recommended by other Chinese schools for study in America were also, after examinations and training, sent to Tsinghua School. During the 1920s, it was reorganized into the National Tsinghua University, though was moved first to Changsha in Hunan Province and then to Kunming in Yunnan Province following the outbreak of the Second World War in 1937. Tsinghua University returned to its original campus in Beijing in 1946 with five constituent colleges: Arts, Law, Science, Engineering and Agriculture.

Following the founding of the People’s Republic of China in 1949, a nation-wide reorganization of higher education institutions were carried out to meet the needs of the country’s reconstruction, though some scholars fled to Taiwan with the defeated Nationalists and set up the National Tsing Hua University in Taipei. Some departments of Tsinghua University were merged with the departments of other higher education institutions, and became a university of engineering.

During the 1950s departments related to new and developing sciences and technology were set up in Tsinghua University. They included Nuclear Engineering, Electronics, Computing and Automatic Control, and enabled the development of indigenous expertise in these areas. By the 1960s, the university had over 10,000 students, and completed more than 100 important research projects urgently needed for national construction. A number of prominent branches in the University reached or approached relatively advanced levels. Between the mid-1960s and 1970s, the university suffered serious disruption from the Cultural Revolution, but quickly recovered and returned to full working order by 1976. A recent addition to the University is its reopened Law Department, closed over 47 years ago.

At the present time the university has 14 schools, 56 departments, along with many research institutes and laboratories. There are over 25,900 students, with 13,100 undergraduates and 12,800 postgraduates.

Comments are closed.